The Villa d'Este is a 16th century Renaissance palace and a 25-hectare Italian garden, which has been a palace since 1873. Built on the shores of Lake Como, in Cernobbio in Lombardy, Italy, it is one of the sumptuous Italian villas from the edge of the lake.
The palace was built in 1568, by the architect and painter Pellegrino Tibaldi, in place of the convent, as a holiday residence for the Cardinal of Como Tolomeo Gallio. The palace is called Villa del Garovo in connection with the river Garnovo of the adjoining park. He received many social guests from the political, aristocratic, intellectual and religious worlds.